Opportunities to join the team
Location: Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, UK
Closing date: 29th Feb 2020
About the Role:
The Protein Scientist will be responsible for establishing and optimizing methods for the manufacture of growth factors, cytokines and related proteins using animal-free expression systems. You will also contribute to the wider work of the protein R&D and manufacturing team.
We are looking for someone with a biochemistry background and experience in protein expression, purification and analysis. You should be an independent scientist who can work closely with other scientists in your team and collaborate effectively with our bioassay, commercial and operations teams.
• Analyze protein data and literature to design suites of protein expression constructs
• Use molecular biology skills to assemble constructs efficiently
• Use and optimize bacterial expression systems for animal-free expression and re-folding of growth factors and related proteins
• Develop and implement protein purification protocols using AKTA chromatography systems
• Use a range of analytical techniques to characterize proteins and refine processes
• Contribute to, and where appropriate lead, R&D projects. These may include protein engineering, conjugation, chemical modification and development of new technologies
• Communicate clearly with team leaders and management. Provide timely updates on milestones, agreed deliverables, necessary documentation and clearly presented experimental results to support ongoing and completed work
• Document experiments and procedures in our electronic lab notebook system, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures and risk assessments
• Communicate with customers and other stakeholders in an open, friendly and professional manner, support marketing campaigns and provide scientific insight where needed
• Work in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with all quality management system and health and safety procedures
• Promote a great working environment in the laboratory
This position would suit a hardworking, detail-orientated scientist with good communication skills who would flourish as a member of a busy team in a growing start-up environment where everyone pitches in.
You will have extensive experience of bacterial expression systems and detailed knowledge of protein purification using AKTA chromatography systems or equivalent. Expertise in molecular biology, protein refolding, protein engineering, analytical techniques and working with disulfide-rich or other complex proteins is highly desirable. Experience of working to ISO9001 or similar quality management systems would be an advantage, as would be experience with other non-mammalian protein expression technologies.
You will be able to work on several projects simultaneously and be happy to share your ideas and contribute to many aspects of the company. If this sounds like you and you would like to join a growing start-up with the vision to improve the quality of reagents available to stem cell biology and regenerative medicine, please apply now!
• A BS Degree in biochemistry or a related discipline
• A PhD or equivalent research or industry experience
• Industrial or academic experience in delivering projects to tight deadlines and a track record of delivery
• Experience of working in an ISO9001:2015 or similar environment (not essential)
• Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong problem-solving capabilities
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
Qkine span out of Cambridge University at the end of 2016 with a mission to improve the quality and availability of recombinant growth factors, cytokines and related proteins for stem cell and organoid culture, and regenerative medicine applications. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing start-up and UK-based manufacturer. You will work at our new laboratories on Cambridge Science Park.
We believe in nurturing our team, empowering individuals and flexibility. While always focusing on delivering the best service, information and exceeding the expectations of our customers and collaborators.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a flexible benefits package and share option scheme.
How to apply:
Please send a two-page CV, including contact details of at least two professional referees (referees will only be contacted following interview), and a one-page cover letter explaining why you are a great fit for the role and would like to join our team. Please send as a single PDF file to email@example.com.
Informal enquiries can be made to Stephanie (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applicants must have the right to work in the UK for the duration of the contract.